Addressing Some of the Common Concerns Regarding Men’s Hormones
Low T is a medical condition that can be treated. It affects one in four men over the age of thirty and can be quite devastating to their egos and libido. In fact, low sex drive and erectile dysfunction (ED) are often the first symptoms.
Having the answers to Low T questions can make seeking treatment considerably easier. If you think you, or a loved one, might be experiencing the effects of Low T please read these FAQs to better understand the severity of the situation.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact one of our men’s health experts at Low T Medical clinic.
What Is Low T?
All humans have the hormone testosterone in their chemical makeup. However, it comes in much higher doses for men than women. At puberty, testosterone production increases.
However, after age thirty, there is an average of a 1 percent decrease in testosterone levels each year. This is a perfectly normal process due to aging. For some men, though, the hormone loss is more pronounced. An unnatural decrease in low testosterone is cause for concern.
How Will a Doctor Identify Low Testosterone Levels?
Because testosterone affects the proper bodily functioning in men, it is a very important hormone. Low T can be diagnosed via blood tests.
The results will show doctors what amount of testosterone exists within the body. If it is considerably lower than the average amount, as compared to the man’s age, hormone replacement therapy might be needed to bring testosterone levels back to normal.
What Does Testosterone Do?
The testosterone a man produces has significant impact on the way his body functions. In fact, testosterone plays a key role in the following areas of a man’s life:
- Sperm Production
- Muscle Mass
- Muscle Strength
- Sexual Drive
- Bone Density
- Red Blood Cell Production
- Fat Distribution
There are behavioral aspects attached to the presence of testosterone as well. Testosterone gives men their competitive edge and boosts their self-esteem. Therefore, when testosterone is low, a man might become depressed, lose his self-confidence, and/or lack motivation.
What are the Warning Signs of Low T?
There are a number of warning signs that might lead you to seek out advice and answers about low T. If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms you should contact our doctors at Low T Medical Clinic for a consultation:
- Low Sex Drive– A drastic drop in sex drive is a valid indicator that testosterone levels have dropped as well.
- Erection Problems– Difficulty achieving or maintaining an erection could be related to testosterone levels.
- Decreased Volume of Semen– Because testosterone plays a major role in the production of semen, when its volume decreases this will be noticeable.
- Loss of Hair– Hair production is also tied to testosterone. The loss of body and facial hair are better indicators than on the scalp, as that is a normal process of aging.
- Lack of Energy & Fatigue– If a noticeable decrease in energy is experienced, it is advisable to seek professional opinions.
- Fat Storage– A decrease in testosterone will mean that the distribution of fat and burning of excess calories halts or slows down.
- Muscle Mass Decrease– Testosterone helps make men strong. When attempting to rebuild the loss of muscle seems to be ineffectual, then there is concern that low T is part of the problem.
- Mood Changes– Men who are dealing with the effects of low T will note that they have mood swings similar to those of women in menopause. They will be more likely to lack focus, be irritable, and experience depression.
- Decrease in Bone Mass– While people often attribute osteoporosis to women, it can occur in men with low T as well. This will make them more susceptible to breaks and fractures.
What are the Treatment Options?
Treatment options for Low T will involve the addition of testosterone to the body. This procedure can take several forms.
However, treatment only occurs once a patient becomes concerned enough to seek professional help. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, it is advisable that you contact one of the doctors at Low T Medical Clinic to discuss your treatment options.